It seems to me that we normally focus all our attention on loving others that we forget about the most important person.
How can we ever really love another if we do not fully accept and love ourselves first?
Self love is about getting in touch with who you really are, what makes you tick and taking care of your own well-being and happiness first. It is not about being selfish, self-absorbed or narcissistic, it is necessary and healthy to love and care for yourself so that you can then love and care for those around you from a full cup!
So how do we start to love ourselves? Is it standing in front of a mirror and while looking deep into our own eyes professing our undying love for self?
Well from personal experience that is a good starting place. For me what really makes a big impact on how we feel about ourselves is how we treat and speak to ourselves.
Just like we use our words and actions to show others how we feel about them, the same is true with ourselves. Most of us would never treat others as harsley as we treat ourselves. Learn to always be kind to yourself.
Saying positive affirmations about ourselves and having a regular self-love / care routine is very important.
Here are some ways to fall deeper in love with you each day.
- Tell yourself something positive that makes you smile and feel good. (ie. you handled that really well, you look beautiful today, you are the best ….)
- Nourish your body with wholesome food and plenty of water
- Move your body daily in a way that makes you feel good, whether that’s running, stretching, dancing etc. Learn to love your body, how can you ever love yourself if you hate the skin you're in.
- Do what makes you happy. Make a list of the things you love to do. The things that bring joy to your heart and a smile to your face.
- Spend quiet time in self contemplation.
- Surround yourself with positive people who lift you up. Walk away from or limit time from negative people who always try to bring you down.
- Relax in a hot bubble / salt bath - Epson salt baths are really great as they help the body get rid of built up toxins. Try adding your favorite herbs or essential oils, like lavender or patchouli
- Dry brushing your skin regularly is so good as it exfoliates the skin, stimulates lymph flow, releases toxins, increases blood circulation and stimulates the immune system while leaving your skin looking and feeling so smooth and healthy.
- While applying cream to your skin, give yourself a massage. The best thing with self massage is you can get the pressure just right!
- Laugh often
- Spend some time every day being grateful for all you have. Don’t forget the little things!
- Have regular body treatments - massage , reflexology, energy healing or whatever resonates with you most. I believe it’s one of the most loving things you can do for yourself!
- Write yourself a love letter.
So here’s wishing you many happy, guilt free hours of loving and caring for yourself.